[Wine] Wine should use Mono and Gecko installed in the system

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 12:51:23 CST 2008

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> at: Dec 10, 2008 8:21 AM (MST) wrote about: Re: [Wine] Wine should use Mono and Gecko installed in the system

>On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Ansus <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>> Wine FAQ says Wine is not an emulator, but in fact, it works like an emulator - it
>> does not enhance Linux API, but simply creates a virtual Windows environment completely isolated from other parts of the system.
>
>> * If a program uses some fonts, Wine requires the fonts to be in Wine's fonts
>> directory and does not use already installed in the system (and Wine's fonts
>> cannot be used by a Linux application)
>
>Wine utilizes corefonts if installed natively.
>
>Most of this other stuff is impossible to do or would take an obscene
>amount of effort which is useless when we can simply use windows
>versions (mono, flash, etc.). Often times, the windows versions are
>better supported anyway.

Here is something to think about and may clear this up:

If you had WindowsXP and Linux installed on separate partitions and functioning as separate operating systems, you would not attempt to use the Windows version of Flash, Mono or any other program under Linux.  It simply would not be possible without an emulator (Wine) or a full blown virtual machine (Parallels/VMWare).  Also, you would not complain about the 'waste of hard drive space'.  Why is this so important when running Wine under Linux/UNIX/MacOSX?  It should not be.  You have to install Windows native versions of these programs under Wine or expect a very heavy overhead when moving between the two operating system environments (or have a massive amount of memory where everything can be stored.)  So, in order to avoid this, we insist that native Windows versions be installed on Wine.  These applications are not huge and provide functionality required by users.

So, Wine==native Windows, Linux==native Linux, MacOSX==native MacOSX.  Simple.

James McKenzie