[Wine] Re: No Sound in Wine - disable / remove pulseaudio

lostandfound wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 12 17:52:15 CST 2008

I've got my Pulseaudio working perfectly with Wine (such that I can run my music player while some Wine app is running, and no, I don't have hardware mixing).

I just use alsa-oss (that's the name of the package in Ubuntu). Its 32-bit only, but I just extracted it to lib32 in my 64-bit Ubuntu Intrepid install. So when I run my app, I run it with:-

aoss wine executable.exe <any_options>

And I've set output to OSS within winecfg. Pulse plays MUCH better with ALSA than OSS, and aoss allows Wine to believe that its got total control of the sound device.

An alternative would be to use JACK, but setting that up to work with Pulse is a headache, though I've done it also. No benefit, though, unless you're already running JACK all the time.