[Wine] Playing wine games with hamachi?

McFlow wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 23 09:01:24 CST 2008

Hello Wine Users,
I know that my question has already been posted once. (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=2130&highlight=hamachi)But that thread did not really help me. Maybe I did something wrong [Rolling Eyes]

This is the situation:
I want to play "The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth - The Rise of the Witchking" with wine in a hamachi VPN.
I am online in the hamachi network and other people see me in hamachi as well. Pinging their hamachi ip in the command line works as well.
The problem actually is, that the multiplayer mode of the game shows every player. I can see myself in the list twice. The messages other players send are displayed properly but they do not see me in the ingame playerlist nor can they read my messages. When I wanted to enter open games I got "connection timeout". My games were not seen by others.

I went to the options menu of the game and saw that it showed an IP that does not belong to me. It was 127.12.34.56. I looked up that ip and found a bug report that lead me to this article (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0344b4325219c69636aeffeaa3596d6855283afd) in the wine wiki. Some further researches told me, that wine does not use the ham0 interface if the command "hostname -i" displays another IP than my hamachi IP.

So I edited my /etc/hosts file to:

Code:

5.129.248.91 rechensklave #my hamachi ip, my machines name

Now hostname -i returns my hamachi IP.
I went to the network multiplayermode again and now I did not see any other players. But in the list my name only appeared once. The networksettings of the game returned my hamachi IP, as well.
I don't know if this is a hamachi issue, a problem with wine, or simply a problem with my brain. I would appreciate any advices...
Thanks in advance :)