[Wine] Re: Last Wine 1.1.10/11 = pulse sound stuttering

psychok9 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 29 09:18:08 CST 2008

oiaohm wrote:
> Be aware that 1.1.x line is development line so defects do happen.  1.0.1 includes a pulseaudio patch.

Can I download a patch for 1.1.x?

> That failure is not wine related.    That is a pulse internal defect.   So I would recommend disabling pulseaudio completely.

With pulseaudio I got, also, the 6 channel mixing on the fly, 2 or 6 channel source...
...and I don't remember if Alsa support many play at the same moment.

> Also be aware if your card has hardware sound mixing you are for sure better off without pulseaudio reason pulseaudio uses your cpu for audio mixing that take cpu time away from your game.
>
> Also dmix from alsa is also lighter on cpu usage.   Yes less features.  I prefer less features and my games running stable than most features and glitches due to internal defects in pulseaudio.

I understood your point of view... but Linux support hardware acceleration? If with alsa (& Linux), the support is only software... the difference it should minimal.
How can I verify hardware channel mixing support?
I remember this "dmix" on winecfg alsa panel... on a old version of Ubuntu... It's software mixing?

> Not exactly on the 3gb map issue.  Another work around is to use a Linux cgroup to limit the memory wine sees so you can use all of memory normally. .

You know how can I setup it?

Thank you very much for your kindness ;)[/quote]