[Wine] configure under cygwin can't find freetype

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 10:05:21 CST 2008

Possibly I've failed to do something very simple.

I'm attempting to compile Wine under Cygwin. I get this on both
Windows 2000 and Windows XP:

checking for -lfreetype... not found
configure: error: FreeType development files not found. Fonts will not be built.

Use the --without-freetype option if you really want this.

Note that freetype-devel is installed, and source as well.

Trying all reasonable options to --libdir= for ./configure doesn't
detect it either.

What precisely is configure.ac looking for? If it's looking for
libfreetype.so, it's not getting it ... cygwin installs .a files.

- d.