[Wine] Running XP programs in wine

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:37:31 CST 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Austin English wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 3:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > then set WINEPREFIX to the directory containing ies4linux and wine
> > will use that one and not ~/.wine
>
> Please don't recommend use of ies4linux on wine-users. It is
> unsupported by wine, and any bugs filed with it will be disregarded
> as irrelevant. Wine is working to replace IE through wine gecko where
> required by apps (obviously, web developers needing to test webpages
> would be an exception).

I said as much in my original reply, with extra caveats and
explanations.

However, the user needs to get an app running. If wine doesn't do it
natively and there is a workaround, what is the user to do? Not use the
app and continue to maintain a windows installation? Or should they
wait till some undetermined point in the future when wine's IE
emulation is perfect?

There's a difference between being willing to test apps and file bugs on
the one hand, and being able to *use* some app on the other, even if a
kludge is involved.

Or should I rather just mail the user off-list where they won't have the
benefit of the full picture from many parties? This has been debated
here endlessly, the last time we kinda decided that ies4linux was OK
for critical stuff as long as the user is aware of the full picture.
And that winetools was verboten as it's a crock of shit that tends to
break everything else except itself.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com