[Wine] Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:09:14 CST 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008, Volodymyr Shcherbyna wrote:
> Hello Tres,
>
> Yes, agree, there might be Linux equivalents to accomplish the same
> tasks. But let me pickup the description of winehq from official
> web-site : "[...] a compatibility layer for running Windows programs
> [...]". Doesn't that mean, that *all* software should work?

NO.

It means that applications that users can reasonably expect to run
should be able to run. Note that it is applications that Wine targets.

For example, there is no sane reason in the world that VC++ should
always work under Wine, considering the deep knowledge of Windows that
is built into VC++. If you are developing a Windows app, then you
should compile it on ... Windows. And Wine runs atop a *nix system, so
it has no need to implement any NTFS-specific code as it does not need
to use NTFS as a storage layer. Should you need to manipulate NTFS for
some reason, we have ntfs-ng for that job.

There has to be a point where Wine stops and the correct answer to
anything more is "You should use Windows for that". I believe that line
lies just beyond user-space apps.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com