[Wine] Help me please...

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:26:46 CST 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, John R. Sowden wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > In short, running Wine as root is a deliberate action.
> > Solution: Just don't run the command that way.
>
> Of course, times have changed and more of the 'rest of us' are using
> linux,  with a lower barrier of entry than the older *nixes.  In my
> case, I got my Computer Science Degree out of the same Cracker Jack
> box that my Law Degree and Medical License came from.

'rest of us'? Hmm.

So by implication, that seems to mean that most users in the last 37
years were smart enough to understand how *nix works, and most users
nowadays are not?

I'm afraid I disagree. You see, my day job is showing these very users
how *nix works. Guess what? They all get it. Except the occasional one,
but they are the ones that still can't tie their own shoelaces. You
only need to do two things to pull off this spectacular feat:

1. Assume that they can do it when shown
2. Actually SHOW THEM

I know it's an amazing leap of faith to go from wherever the world is
now to seeing that users really can think and understand stuff, but I
heartily recommend giving it a try.

This 'barrier to entry' of which you speak is, in my not so humble and
quite knowledgeable opinion, a purely fictitious one and is likely to
remain so for quite some time.

I'll switch my sarcasm-o-meter off now.

--
Alan McKinnon