[Wine] I just installed unbuntu

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Wed Feb 27 07:51:49 CST 2008

Timeout wrote:
> Did you check that wine is installed per default on your distribution?
> If not you have to install wine first.

No, Wine is not installed by default on Ubuntu.  There is a version in
the repositories, but it's a little behind the current release - can't
check which version it is, because I've updated to the latest version.

Even when you do install Wine on Ubuntu, however, it won't make the file
association for you.  So...

Go to http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb and follow the
instructions there to setup the repositories then go to System >
Administration > Synaptic and search for and install Wine.  Finally,
right click on an .exe file and choose Properties, select the 'Open
With' tab and select Wine - if it isn't shown as an option, click on Add
and Wine should then be shown in the list of available programs.

Double clicking on an .exe should now run it under Wine.

HTH,

David Shaw