[Wine] Running XP programs in wine

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:41:31 CST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Even when I install MSVCR80.dll from a Windows machine into
>  >  ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32System32 it does not work.
>
>  It's designed not to.  You simply cannot copy msvcr80.dll
>  into plain old windows/system32.  It aborts if you do.
>  You have to use the installer, which is what winetricks does.

Just as a general question, if all of this winetricks stuff is
required to run so many programs, and I think it is as almost nothing
I've ever wanted to run ran fine just installing it, then why isn't
whatever winetricks does part of the Wine install process?

If it's a matter of Wine not shipping M$ dll's and such, which I can
understand, then why doesn't the Wine installer tell us to go get a
certain set of dll's, put them in some location, and then use them?

I continue to feel that Wine handcuffs itself with all of these
problems. Just curious and ONLY my view as an end-user type.

Thanks,
Mark