[Wine] Re: Running XP programs in wine

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Feb 27 18:04:39 CST 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Just as a general question, if all of this winetricks stuff is
> required to run so many programs, and I think it is as almost nothing
> I've ever wanted to run ran fine just installing it, then why isn't
> whatever winetricks does part of the Wine install process?

 Because it's responsibility of the application installer to install all that. If it does not - in many cases it won't work on Windows. Also winetricks created so you can be told "just run this command" instead of standard windows way of 10 pages manual with 100s images showing how to move mouse and click buttons.

However the biggest problem is legal problem - you have to have valid windows license to install all those components. It's wrong to require this for every Wine installation.