[Wine] Wine & GSM 6.10 codec

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Feb 28 07:48:52 CST 2008

Larry, your message didn't go through right.  You might need to check
your email configuration.  We had to click through to an attachment,
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/attachments/20080228/f9653c39/attachment.eml
to read it.

For those who are loathe to click through, here's what Larry wrote:

"I have a Ham Radio program, named CQ100, it works fine using WINDOZE,
but when I installed the same program on my linux system, everything
works except there is no-audio, I'am using Ubuntu 7.10 linux...

The author told me that windoze uses GSM 6.10 codec, plus ACM audio
compression manager, which are built-into windoze...

So by anychance does anyone know how to have wine use this codec, & audio
compression on a Linux system...???"

Larry, I think Wine can handle codecs, but you have to go out and
find them and install them in wine yourself.
I looked around a bit, and I found one at
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm
but I can't recommend that, since it looks like it's a
great big copyright violation.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=686256&highlight=ventrilo
might be useful, too; I haven't looked.

There's an open source implementation, e.g. at
http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html, but I don't think that's
wrapped up into a Windows codec yet.  (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)
- Dan