[Wine] Wine broke my WindowsXP (can't login)

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 28 17:44:37 CST 2008

helix wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me where Wine looks for the path of the system
> files (some config file supposedly)?

What "system files" are you referring to? At one time in the distant
past Wine had a config file. That has been gone for quite a number of
years now. Any Wine "configuration" is now done in the registry. These
files are typically ~/.wine/system.reg and ~/.wine/user.reg, though that
location can be changed with the WINEPREFIX environment variable.

> If I get it right, it's supposed to use the system files in
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 or /usr/lib/wine, but apparently
> mine is looking in the wrong location...

Wine uses "builtin" DLLs from some directory, which is commonly
/usr/lib/wine (as determined by the packager for the Wine package you
installed). It gets "native" DLLs typically from
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, though this location can be changed in
the registry. What makes you think it is using some other locations?