[Wine] Web Forums

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Fri Feb 29 00:29:50 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Daniel Burke <burkey at burkeez.com> wrote:
> I like you Paul.  It is so true of what I see on forums everywhere, 90:10
> S:N ratio

That being said, if we must have a forum, we should make it a
fundraiser.  Email access, free.  Forum access, >$1/mesg to post.

> I do however find Forums can be useful as a repository, especially when I am
> at someone elses computer or do not feel like searching my own email.

That's true, but like I said above, email archives serve the same
purpose a little more effectively, if only because forums fail so
horribly at message presentation and threads (before we even get down
to the content) as to make them unusable for the task.  To date, the
only exceptions to this have been Slashcode (likely due to a more
usenet-reader approach from the start, and the karma/scorefiltering
systems generally forcing the finer posts to the surface and the
stereotypical forum posts generally sinking into oblivion) and
Livejournal (though not as much as Slashcode, thanks to a complete
lack of karma and scorefiltering).

At least most mailing list software supports mhonarc or some other
widely used, threaded mailing list archiver...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca