[Wine] Re: Windows API opens up???

Timeout wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 29 01:13:17 CST 2008

Exacly.

They won't directly attack wine, they will ask for license for anybody using wine to resell a product saying that Wine is using this knowledge and thus if they want to use wine for a business purpose, they will have to pay microsoft.

They are also only revealing informations for Vista, in a way pushing people using dual boot or in a network to use Vista where it is forbidden to use the components of Vista for a non-windows environment. At the same time, they are trying to develop a new kernel under windows 7 and if it's true that most users will go from XP to windows 7, they are back to square one.

What I fear is: now wine is getting hold of .NET 2, Visual Studio 2008 with .NET 3 is getting released. I fear that on the software I use, it will be back to square one for the new version. Showing documentation will not be helping much then.

And about MS XML. If OpenOffice doesn't match the formatting of Office2003 (like tab breaks, automatic line breaks, charts on docs, inserted pictures, size of the characters etc)when saving as .doc, there is still a long road between full compatibility and this has not only do do with alway saving under the same format. At the moment, writing in OpenOffice, saving in .doc and opening in Word, you will be very likely to get a messed-up formatting.