[Wine] Re: Wine broke my WindowsXP (can't login)

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 29 05:01:37 CST 2008

> The fact that it modified (supposedly, I don't know for sure) some files in /windows/C/windows/system32 -- which I thought Wine wasn't supposed to be looking in, but now know better.

It altered files in windows and windows/system32 and some files in program files  so yep lots of damage to windows.  Basically a killing blow.

Other thing you only want some windows dlls complete box and dice is risky.  Ie windows/system32 files transfered into wine must be selected carefully.

Just never link wine to a real windows partition for drive C.   Or you are only asking for pain.  No point working out what it altered.   Running applications that way does not work either since wine and windows has many differences.  Like a completely different registry format.

You can use symbolic links from the wine drive c to areas on the normal windows partition.  But have to be careful.