[Wine] Fwd: System logout when installing software

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue Jan 22 03:42:35 CST 2008

Hi!

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> On my ubuntu, I run wine as an account (not root) of administer. The setup
> is OK.
> But as an ordinary user, the system logout during the installation before I
> can react. The windows software will install some drivers, which requires
> reboot.
Maybe there is a misunderstanding. You are saying that installing a software
in wine causes your Linux session to be logged out automatically ? If it is
the case, it's not a logout, it's a crash, maybe of an X server.

> Does WINE has any method to prevent this automatic logout behavior?
Normal behaviour is, that when and application requests windows to reboot,
wine executes a special program called wineboot, which performs the simulation
of the windows reboot. When the program doesn't reboot windows automatically
but request it on you, you have to run wineboot manually from the shell. wine
then finishes the installation.
There is no such thing as automatic logout of a Linux session.
  With regards, Pavel Troller