[Wine] Fwd: System logout when installing software

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Tue Jan 22 06:00:13 CST 2008

> Hi
>
> On Jan 22, 2008 5:42 PM, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > > Hi James,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the info.
> > >
> > > On my ubuntu, I run wine as an account (not root) of administer. The
> > setup
> > > is OK.
> > > But as an ordinary user, the system logout during the installation
> > before I
> > > can react. The windows software will install some drivers, which
> > requires
> > > reboot.
> > Maybe there is a misunderstanding. You are saying that installing a
> > software
> > in wine causes your Linux session to be logged out automatically ? If it
> > is
> > the case, it's not a logout, it's a crash, maybe of an X server.
>

>     Yes, it is. Does that mean it is a bug of WINE?

It looks like interaction of problems in wine and Xserver (or whatever else).
Try the following:
- Run the installer till you are "logged off"
- Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (or at another place, where the Xserver log is
  present), especially at the end of the file. If it is an Xserver crash, you
  will probably see it there. It's necessary to look at the .old file,
  because the current one comes from the newly started Xserver, which didn't
  crash yet :-).
Please post the important part of the log here.

     With regards, Pavel Troller