[Wine] Newbie needs help

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 23 20:42:46 CST 2008

Hello,

I have an old crossword program that runs OK on Win98, WinMe, and XP.

I have installed, via yum, wine and wine-devel and the associated
dependencies on my Fedora 8 system.

I have copied all the files from the program's install floppy to a
directory in my home folder, the same as installing it on XP.

However, when the program tries to access the word files it fails and
says to see if the directory is set OK.

There is an .ini file but it is binary so I cannot change it. I *think*
the program is looking for the directory C:\\ccw

I have looked through the wine install pages on the web and it speaks of
a dummy windows installation which I don't fully understand.

Running winecfg and setting the C drive to point to the directory
containing the program's files doesn't help.

Can some one point me in the right direction please? This program is
pretty basic and it doesn't appear to need any Windows bit'n'pieces.

I have been trying to run it with the command 'wine
/home/graeme/ccw/ccw.exe' It all starts up OK but it fails when it needs
to access the word files.

Also when starting it I get the following errors:
[graeme at barney ~]$ wine /home/graeme/ccw/ccw.exe
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not
accessible.
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not
accessible.
fixme:ntdll:find_reg_tz_info Can't find matching timezone information in
the registry for bias -600, std (d/m/y): 6/04/2008, dlt (d/m/y): 5/10/2008
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not
accessible.
fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16 System-global hooks (-1) broken in Win16

How do I set the inaccessible directories please?

Thank you.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.