[Wine] building 64 bit binaries from source

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:17:19 CST 2008

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman skrev:
>> Doesn't work:
>>
>> aryeh at flosoft:/home/aryeh/wine% ./configure --disable-wine64
>> CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32"
>
> Wine's configure doesn't really work like that, I think. Try it
> more like I suggested (this should work with bash, don't know about
> other shells):
>
> CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure --disable-win64

Same result:

[aryeh at flosoft ~/wine]$ CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure
- --disable-win64
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-freebsd8.0
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-freebsd8.0
checking for gcc... gcc -m32
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.

> You could also look in the configure.ac to see what else needs to
> be done, since it tweaks itself for x86_64*linux already.

Same result if configured this way.

> Also make sure you really do have a gcc capable of building 32-bit
> binaries...

Yes because the base system (unlike linux *BSD's tend to be everything
you need for a basic OS with no end-user apps/ui's) compiles a set of
32bit compatible libraries (i.e. it comes with a complete set of 32
bit and 64 bit libs but all the tools and 3rd party apps are built
against the 64 bit ones by default).

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Tool Developers