[Wine] wine-users Digest, Vol 30, Issue 37

Lex Middelberg lex at middelberg.co.za
Mon Jan 28 02:01:12 CST 2008

Firstly, thanks for all the help here.

On Sunday 27 January 2008 20:00:02 wine-users-request at winehq.org wrote:
> On 27/01/2008, Lex Middelberg <lex at middelberg.co.za> wrote:
> > My questions are the following:
> >
> > 1.      Must I re-install the windows software with every wine upgrade to
> > get the benefit of wine improvements - or was the change due to something
> > in Gutsy?
>
> I don't know why the menu items were removed in the upgrade.

It's not the programmes that have vanished off the KDE menu - they are still
there.  It is everything to do with wine itself that is gone, i.e. "uninstall
windows software", "wine configuration", etc.

I can still use winecfg from a terminal, so everything is still there, it's
just been removed from the KDE menu.

> To answer your question, it would depend on how well the installer
> worked for your application. The installer has been very good for a
> long time now, with the only outstanding issues being with
> InstallShield-based installers and those with custom actions (special
> code that is run during install). Therefore, if your program has
> installed and is working, it should survive an upgrade of Wine.

Installation is not a problem, it works perfectly.  My question (since
answered) was if it was necessary to reload software with every wine release
to get the benefits of improvements.

The reason for the question was the impressive difference I found when I
freshly reinstalled WordPerfect when I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy.  Before
I had just upgraded wine on a weekly basis and never found any improvement.
I think I was on wine 0.9.51 when I upgraded and did the reinstall to wine
0.9.46 and discovered all the changes and improvements.

why did it not show before?

> However, the easiest way to remove everything is to run:
>
>     rm -rf ~/.wine
>     wineprefixcreate
>
> This will reset everything back, with nothing installed and your Wine
> settings lost.

I'll try that

> > 4.      How do I change the screen resolution under wine back to
> > something that's more functional?

Again, maybe I expressed myself badly, but the problem cannot be resoved by
using winecfg.

Imagine a dialogue box - it's borders are the size it should be, but it's
contents is double what it should be, so it only displays part of the
dialogue box contents - as I said in some dialogue boxes I can't see the
yes/no/cancel buttons because they are outside the dialogue box borders, but
they are there - they are just not rendered on screed - if you click in where
the "ok" button should be you get the result of the ok option i.e. save the
document.

What I really want to do now is just remove everything and retrace my steps to
see if this repeats itself and to see what happens if I install directly to
the newest wine version.  Maybe something went wrong in the upgrade from
v0.9.46 to 53 that will not repeat itself.  These things happen I suppose.

My problem is that with the wine options off the kde menu, I'll have to remove
everything manually using the command line - and I'm not confident about what
I do in that environment.

--
Regards,
Lex.