[Wine] Simpsons: H&R dsound.dll

arvinkebob wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 5 03:03:54 CDT 2008

I've been having a problem recently with Simpsons Hit & Run regarding the sound. I installed the game just fine, but had major sound distortions that made it impossible to play with sound. After checking AppDB, another user reported the same problem and I tried changing the dsound library to native (windows). I imported the dsound.dll file from my Windows XP drive into my fake windows/system32 under WINE and in my programs root directory.

After running the game, I got two odd errors in separate message boxes, one after another:

Code:
ASSERT FAILED : [DirectSound8 couldn't be created.]
    Line : [0] File: [win32 hal]

{Abort}                    {Retry}                     {Ignore}

I pressed the Ignore button and up came another message (pressing retry did the same thing, abort just canceled:

Code:
ASSERT FAILED : [IDirectSound8::Initialize() failed, no sound card?]
    Line : [0] File: [win32 hal]

{Abort}                    {Retry}                     {Ignore}

As before I pressed Ignore but then the messages stopped and the game didn't load. I tried messing around with the audio setting in "winecfg" but nothing made a difference. Only the builtin wine dsound would work with the game but that obviously causes the distortion to happen.

Does anyone know of a way to make the native dll work or know another work around for the distortion? I've searched all over and haven't found a specific problem such as mine. Thanks for any help.