[Wine] Re: Cannot Install Wine

Forester wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 6 03:19:58 CDT 2008

OK.  The output

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name Version Description
> +++-==========================================-=============================-============================================

shows no packages at all.  Therefore all your packages are correctly installed.  Which is good. :) That makes the error message

> Can not install 'wine' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.)

all the more puzzling. :(

> Thats the error that appears when i try to click on the link after taking the previous steps
> So what do i do to fix this problem?

You have got the line:

> Now you can install Wine by clicking this link. Alternatively, you can install by going to Applications->Add/Remove and searching for Wine.

Clicking the link makes assumptions about what program you are using to browse the web.  I use Firefox and clicking on that link does absolutely nothing.

Pasting apt://wine (the target of the link) into Firefox also does nothing but when I paste it into Konqueror, I get asked if I want to install Wine.  However, that is under Kubuntu, not plain Ubuntu, where your default browser may be set to nautilus or galeon (I don't know plain Ubuntu very well).

I think (guessing) the package that makes the clicking work for Konqueror is kio-apt.  Whether you need a package for your browser and what it might be called I can't say.  So go for plan B.  The instructions say you can go to Applications->Add/Remove and search for wine.  If there is no such menu entry (there isn't under Xubuntu), just use synaptic.  Open synaptic, search for wine and take it from there.