[Wine] Re: Copying the Windows Folder into Wine?

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 6 13:11:47 CDT 2008

Kingoftherings wrote:
> If I have a working install of Windows, could I copy the entire Windows Folder (C:\Windows) into Wine's Windows folder?

Not if you want Wine to actually work.

> If I have all native dlls, will it improve compatibility and performance at all?

No, it will break Wine. Some native dlls require low-level Windows kernel access that Wine can't provide, and they should never be used. And even for the dlls that can be overridden, the native ones do not necessarily work better, and can even  prevent some programs from working at all.

Sometimes native dlls are needed, but that should be done judiciously. First see if your app works with plain Wine, and if it doesn't, then figure out which native dlls might help and use only those.