[Wine] Re: Serial Port Access Under Wine

LJB wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 8 15:33:03 CDT 2008

Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:

> 1.	Is the com1 poprt setup under wine ... actually happening?
>
> 2.	Is a wine user given permission to open the com1 port.  (When I use
> virtualbox and winXP) I have to be sure that my name is included in the
> cboxusers group ... and maybe this wine difficulty is a permission thing?
>
> 3	Are there some help files or logs which will tell me where the process is
> going wrong?  Using virtualbox and winXP is a bit of overkill for just 1
> small program!!
>
> Richard

I can't get my serial ports to work, but others have.

1:  Wine defaults to using /dev/ttyS0 as com1.   To override the defaults, create a symbolic link in the dosdevices directory.
e.g., I used   ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com2

2: Normally, no.   You must change the permissions under linux so that the program's user has access to the port.   In my case I added my user to the dialup group.