[Wine] Re: Mac Wine.app Launcher

therealmccoy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 9 13:48:58 CDT 2008

Skip it, I got it working.

I downloaded the crap-tastic Darwine from http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine (http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/), but there was no sound support and it would not run Total Annihilation.

To fix that, I dove into the Darwine/Wine.bundle package, renamed the wine binary, and symlinked the real Wine binary I previously compiled. Now I have audio support and Total Annihilation works like a charm!

I wish that we could turn this into a nice Mac installer package, I mean how hard could it be? We include the necessary dependencies, tell it to compile, and tell it to copy a slightly modified version of Winehelper from the Darwine distribution to the Applications folder. Sounds easy.

Oh well, n00bs can follow these steps to get Wine 1.1 to run like it belongs:

1. Get Xcode and X11 if you don't have them already.
2. Get MacPorts.
3. Download the latest Wine Source off the main downloads page.
4. Extract the files and open a terminal in the new folder (easy way is to open the terminal, type cd and drag the folder icon from the title bar into the terminal).
5. In the terminal, type:  ./configure --verbose
6. it will tell you you are missing certain libraries for application support, to get them, do an initial "sudo port selfupdate" without quotes in the terminal. Then, type "sudo port install nameoflibrary" where nameoflibrary would look like libpng, fontforge, etc. If port kicks back with an "I can't find it" error, do port search nameoflibrary but strip any mention of "lib" or any numbers from the name (so libxml20 becomes xml). Install whatever library name the port database actually has, they're usually what you need.
7. Do the ./configure --verbose again.
8. Any remaining "missing" features aren't important. Type "make depend && make" into the terminal.
9. Type sudo make install. Congratulations, you've done the hardest part! Now to fake out the Winehelper app from Darwine...
10. Download and install Darwine from http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine (http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/) and do what it tells you.
11. Go into the Darwine folder in your Applications directory and control-click the Wine.bundle package, select "Show Package Contents".
12. Go to Contents/bin and rename the file "wine" to something else, maybe wine2 or something.
13. Open your terminal and type "ln -s /usr/local/bin/wine /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine"
14. Still in the terminal, type winecfg. Go to the Audio tab, don't touch anything, go to the graphics tab, only touch the Emulate Virtual Desktop thing if you have problems running a 3D program. I had to set it to 1024x768 to run Total Annihilation correctly, your usage will vary. Click OK to save and quit.

There you have it! You can now use WineHelper to run your windows programs!