[Wine] Goodbye Windows?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu Jul 10 16:00:58 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:24 -0700, Zac Brown wrote:
> Django29 wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I know that Linux provides most of the softwares we need for business, equivalent of Outlook, MS Office, IE, ...  but :
> > Is it realistic to think that we can delete Win XP, and use Wine with Linux, for a professional use, with :
> > - All Adobe, with the ICC profiles (I use Monaco EZcolor for the calibration).

I'd give this one some time while you investigate to make sure running
what you need on Windows is either wine-able or replicable with native
software.

> > - CMS like Joomla and a lot of plugs-in, and a few tools for webranking.

Given the propensity of CMS systems to use some kind of LAMP setup, and
Linux being the L in LAMP, you should be able to find something
suitable.

> Depending on what particular Adobe software you're speaking of, would determine
> that answer. Best to check http://appdb.winehq.org.

Always a good suggestion, should be the first place you go to answer the
"Can I run..." questions.

> The difference in Wine behavior you'd see would be in a non-supported window
> manager rather than the specific distro itself I suspect.
>
> Gnome is well supported and KDE is mostly. Things beyond that are iffy at best.

You're confusing window managers with desktop environments:  You can
have a window manager without a desktop environment, but not the other
way around.  That being said, anything conforming to freedesktop.org's
expectations for window managers should work (GNUStep, AfterStep, kwin,
enlightenment...)

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca