[Wine] Halo PC update error

acracker badmit at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:53:18 CDT 2008

dimesio wrote:

> ok i have been using linux for about three days now and i must say it is
> pretty cool.
>
> my only problem is that when i tried to update halo pc to play online wine
> froze. so when i tried to do it manually by clicking on halo update.exe
> everything seemed to download fine until it started to update.
>
> then it had some weird error about internet explorer.
>
> here is a picture
> [Image: http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3653/screenshotfq4.th.png ]

I had the exact same error! I found a way to fix it though w/o re-installing
wine. The problem lies with the program chktrust.exe. On wine's forums, the
user Jesse Fox described how to compile your own 'chktrust.exe' program so
that it won't give you that error. Basically you have to compile your own
chktrust.exe program and then replace the existing one with your new one.
After that, you run the haloupdate.exe program and everything should work.
I've compiled this program myself, so if you trust me and/or you don't want
to compile your own program, you can download my attached file here:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18425763/chktrust.exe chktrust.exe . If you
don't trust me or want to compile the program yourself, see Jesse's post
here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2720

Good Luck!
-a