[Wine] Re: Prey and OpenGL

crow_se wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 13 07:13:43 CDT 2008

Hello again.
Since my last post about giving up on Prey I have had to change my graphics card. The cooling fan on my ATI packed up and it was a choice of a new fan/heatsink combination and having to nearly rebuild my pc to allow room for it (nearly the size of my card and over 1 inch thick !) or replacing the card.
Since I thought that the fan problem might be the thin end of the wedge and I might get more problems with the card I decided to replace it.
I bought a Sparkle Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS with 512 Mb Ram. I installed the card and installed the 9755-pclos207 drivers from Synaptic.
I thought, what the hell, lets give it a go, and reinstalled Prey and the 1.4 patch yet again.
Went into Wine configurator and selected Allow the window manager to control the windows, and lo and behold the game works fine.
I switched off Compiz using the Compiz Fusion Icon, setting the window manager to KWin before firing up Prey.
Running at 1024*768 with all advanced video options turned on I am getting a frame rate varying between 30 and 70 fps. No 'sticky' graphics either.
Same applies with Doom3. Haven't tried anything else yet.