[Wine] Re: No Sound in Wine - disable / remove pulseaudio

Aleks wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 16 23:04:03 CDT 2008

kleinlohmi wrote:
> Hi,
> i am using Wine successfully with Pulseaudio via padsp!!
>
> First you have to run
>

> Code:
> padsp winecfg
>
>  and select the OSS output under Audio. The other outputs should be toggled off.
>
> Then you can use any program via
>
> Code:
> padsp wine myprogram.exe
>

> It works fine for me. I am using Teamspeak 2 and Steam/CS 1.6 with it.

I would like to confirm that this is indeed working. Thank you very much! Sound barely worked at all before doing this; now it works perfectly. I had Rosetta Stone installed on a different computer that didn't have Pulse Audio, and it ran like a charm in WINE. On this one (the computer with Pulse Audio), there was a 0.5 second burst of sound (I'm assuming the beginning of the sound file) and then nothing else. Running wine with padsp remedies this.

So yeah. I can confirm this method as a way to get around Pulse Audio.

Job well done, kleinlohmi.

Susan Cragin wrote:
> I have gotten it to run with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Right now I am dictating into Notepad using it. Preliminary results show that the accuracy score yielded me a 28 or 29, versus 26 for alsa. The improvement in sound quality is probably statistically insignificant, but it is definitely not worse.
> I can't tell yet if it's any slower at running the speech recognition engine.
If it's of any interest, when I tried recording my voice in Rosetta Stone, I noticed a slight to noticeable lag at the beginning, causing my recording to start later. I don't know how reliable this is, considering I'm using a different app, but I thought you'd like to know. I now speak with a momentary pause at the beginning of my recordings. I'm not too familiar with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but perhaps you could start speaking with momentary pauses? :-) (or test the theory out by running windows audio recorder or something)