[Wine] Question regarding dependencies for Wine 1.1.1

y_farkash wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 17 23:19:01 CDT 2008

Hi,

I am new to Wine and somewhat to Linux.

I am running DreamLinux (DL) which to the best of my knowledge is based on Debian.

Currently I have Wine 1.0.0 installed with no Windows application installed on it yet. I would like to install M$ Office 2007 and reading the news on the WineHQ homepage it said that Wine 1.1.1 was released with fixes to M$ Office 2007, so I figured I should upgrade before installing.

I added the Debian Etch repository as explained in the download page (http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb) and upgraded my repositories via Synaptic. Here is when it gets strange:

When I search for Wine in Synaptic, it finds it and tells me that the installed version is 1.0.0-1 with latest version 1.1.1. so I mark it for upgrade. It tells me that some packages will be removed (all are Wine related) and one will be installed (winbind) but then I get the following message:
"The follwoing packages have unresolved dependencies. Make sure all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.
wine:
 Depends: libldap2 but it is not going to be installed"

OK, so I google 'libldap2', find it on the Debian website (http://packages.debian.org/etch/i386/libldap2/download), add the correct Debian repository as suggested there and 'reload' in Synaptic. Then I search for 'libldap2', find it and mark it for installation, but it tells me that some packages will be removed. those are not a few packages, it is about to remove Amarok, OpenOffice, tranmission, Samba... Half my system will be removed!

Needles to say, I did not install 'libldap2'... Bit what should I do to et Wine1.1.1 on?

DreamLinux is actually based on Debian Lenny (the next release) and 'libldap2' is from Etch (current one). Could this be the issue? Any ideas here?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I figured the more details the better.

Thanks,

Y_Farkash