[Wine] Running Wine on Win64

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 07:42:57 CDT 2008

2008/7/19 Gert van den Berg <wine-users at mohag.net>:

> I'm wondering if it would be possible to run Wine on Win64 ("x64") to
> allow Win16 apps to be run? Preferably a native 64-bit binary, using
> mostly native DLLs. (Services for Unix / Subsystem for Unix based
> Applications might help for getting Wine compiled)
> It might be a great way to get more users and developers for Wine.
> Regular Windows releases of the DirectX 10 DLL's might significantly
> increase testing and / or development as well...

Wine on Windows is getting to be a FAQ by now :-)

Many people have tried running Wine under Cygwin. Mostly it's an
achievement just to get it to compile and run. (Then there's
interesting little gotchas like when it edits the registry of the host
Windows box rather than the Wine instance ...)

Possibly a detailed wiki page on this should be compiled (though not
by me) and kept updated.

- d.