[Wine] Question regarding dependencies for Wine 1.1.1

nevereatyellowsnow wiedeman at gmx.net
Tue Jul 22 13:24:25 CDT 2008

JMS-4 wrote:

> a) give up [it's always an option but one you don't have to take ;)]
> b) Google Wine Debian Lenny and see what comes up [2100 hits, one might be
> useful]
> c) switch from a bleeding edge distribution to a more stable one [might
> not be a bad idea if you are still somewhat new to Linux]
> d) run Debian Etch as a virtual machine under your current distribution
> [assuming support for VMs works under your bleeding edge distribution].
> e) compile Wine from source [but finding the packages to do that for your
> distribution may be a bigger problem that the one you have now].
>
> I suspect c) is your best option but, hey, maybe my reply will prompt
> someone else to come up with better suggestions.

Sorry i do not have a solution as well but the same problem as the original
poster and a comment: Solution c) looks to me rather screwed up: You suggest
to switch to a more stable distribution to be able to install a development
package given the warning of the developers:

"Warning: These are development packages The packages here are development
packages. This means they will periodically suffer from regressions, and as
a result an update may break functionality in Wine. If the latest stable
release of Wine (currently Wine 1.0) works for you, then you may not want to
use the development packages."

It looks to me that these development packages would fit lenny much better
than etch. At least I've switched from etch to lenny to have access to the
latest greatest packages (maybe not as deeply tested), and for most of the
world this seems to be the correct choice.

Just my thought...