[Wine] Re: Native and Builtin dll

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 24 14:44:42 CDT 2008

Batt212 wrote:
> Ok, I didn't write bad my question. If I've source code for an dll I can produce a builtin dll (with winelib)

Not correct. Wine built-in dlls are those dlls that are part of Wine itself. Everything else is a native DLL.

Batt212 wrote:
> but if I dot not have it I must use only native dll.

If Wine doesn't have such dll, then yes you have to use native dll instead.

Batt212 wrote:
> For example I copy and paste an exe file into linux enviroment and run it.

Not correct. You don't copy anything. Most programs have to be properly installed with their installer. This is true even on windows.

Batt212 wrote:
>  Why cannot I take iexplorer.exe and its dlls and run it?

This is special case. IE is a part of the system and depends on big number of undocumented functions. And to run it you have to replace big parts of Wine. This is strongly discouraged. Especially in this case, since Wine has it's own IE replacement.