[Wine] Re: Using comctl32.dll legal?

3vi1 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 1 14:28:05 CDT 2008

TiGR wrote:
> One of my friends wondered how legal is it to use native comctl32.dll in wine? He owns a license, and he called to MS support, and they told him that Windows is unsplittable piece of software, so comctl32.dll cannot be used separately.
>
> So, what's the deal?

The deal is that he shouldn't be calling MS for support when he runs into a problem using Wine.  He should check the Wine Appdb, submit a bug if it's a new problem, and ask for help here.  The fact that he even needs to try to use a native DLL indicates this is something that should be addressed in Wine.

Chances are very slim that there's anything wrong in the native DLL, or that MS would fix it even if there were (unless he could recreate the problem on Windows to prove it's not Wine - and the app he's using is made by MS too).