[Wine] .wine is not owned by you problem with Darwin

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Thu Jun 12 22:49:03 CDT 2008

Sai wrote:
> Okay, Okay I get it. Never run anything as root. I was playing around with a normal user account, and it seems I can basically do everything I want as a normal user. You see I was a windows user before, and on windows if you aren't admin you can't do jack. I never thought of anything but admin when it came to setting up accounts.

Sai:

Where did you get Wine from?  I run Darwine and it sets up the .wine in
my user directory with my user account, even if it is a system
administrator.

Paul:

Wine under MacOSX is a strange beasty.  I don't use the older Darwine
releases available from darwine.sourceforge.net as they are based on
0.9.23.  Unfortunately, the Power PC release was partially abandoned
because of the x86 emulator being abandoned (that has changed in the
recent past.)

All:

Darwine is the Wine for the Mac.  Regular Wine has problems functioning
and does not incorporate all of the necessary tricks to get it to run
under MacOSX.  Wine IS buildable on the Mac and installable as a regular
UNIX application.  However, it does get tricky to remove.

Thank you.
James McKenzie