[Wine] Darwine question

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Fri Jun 13 21:33:12 CDT 2008

zach at drayer.name wrote:
>> to install an application into Darwine I have used (in ubuntu) a command
>> that looks something like this "wine m:\setup.exe /autorun". On my Mac
>> I can't seem to find the wine executable. I get this error: "-bash:
>> wine: command not found".
>>

> With Darwine, the Wine executables are in
> Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin, not /usr/local/bin.  Since they're not
> in your $PATH, you cant call them directly. You can either cd to the
> directory or do something like
> /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine m:\setup.exe /autorun.
>
> Thats what WineHelper.app is for though - so you can double click
> .exe/lnk/msi files and have Wine run them. It doesn't have a way to pass
> along arguments afaik though :\
Zach, you are correct. Darwine, as supplied by Mike, does not run the
wine command correctly unless it is invoked as stated. I have fixed this
on my system and it works fine. However, the fix is beyond what a normal
Mac user would be expected to do.

I have advised Mike on a possible fix to this problem.

In the meantime, use WineHelper -> Application -> Open. This will open a
dialog box from where you can start any Windows Application. You can
navigate to your M: drive and select setup.exe from it.
Then the program will run. You can also supply command line arguments by
clicking on the 'use arguments' button and typing them in. This is not
warrantied to work, but it has for me in the past.

Programs run from WineHelper do function properly.

James McKenzie