[Wine] Re: Which Wine Download?

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 13 22:52:45 CDT 2008

stevecarter wrote:
> Hi Zac,
>
> I'm back again with ongoing problems.
>
> I have successfully installed the 1.0-rc4 version of Wine according to your script.
>
> I have installed a simple Windows program (no .NET of anything like that) and the icon is in the menu and on the Desktop.
>
> However, when I try to launch it the "Eggtimer" rotates for a short while but then nothing else happens.
>
> How do I find out what has gone wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Carter
>
> PS - Do I need to change the subject heading?

Hi Stephen,

This means the installer worked fine, but the application itself is having problems running under Wine.

To know what error messages it sends, you must cd to the directory which you installed it, probably "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/some folder" and then run the program via the command line as "wine filename.exe" without the quotes.

The error messages will be seen in the console.

To Zac Brown,

My laptop uses Mandriva 2008, and although there are builds for it, I would like to experience how to compile Wine on it. I am more of a Linux user than a dev so these things are not yet within my skill level.

If it isn't too much of a bother for you I would love it if you could write me a script like what you did for Stephen.

Regards,
Bamm