[Wine] JUST A COUPLE OF NUBBY QUESTIONS BETWEEN ME AND FREEDOM

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu Jun 19 15:22:42 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:38 -0500, jpearls wrote:
> 1. What does ~ mean? cd  ie. "~/.wine/drive_c/"

~ is your home directory, probably something like "/home/jpearls"

> 2. Steam runs.  Hurray.  But I can't chat with friends.  I can see
> their messages, but not mine.  I assume they never get them because
> they never say anything more.

I've noticed Steam chat is somewhat hit or miss even in Windows.  I
can't quite put my finger on it, but it also happens to my Windows-using
friends.  We just use XMPP instead for chat even when we're all logged
into Steam.

> 3.  I launch TF2, I get the valve logo, source logo, then BAM back to
> desktop.  No error boxes.  And my screen resolution stays "minimized"
> to what tf2 was launched at.

It sounds like you may not have followed instructions, then.  Take
another look and see if you can find what you're doing wrong.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9901

> 4. I can't get utorrent to launch from links in firefox; everything
> else about both programs works perfectly.  I've tried three scripts:
[...]
> So?

You might try starting off at the AppDB with this one, too.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=6824

Though I strongly suggest looking at native BitTorrent clients, as
there's a considerable number of quality BitTorrent clients already
available on Linux.

> 5. Is there a program or website that will verify you have the latest
> drivers?  Is that something built into ubuntu?

Which drivers?  For most drivers, they're already included with the
Linux kernel and they're kept up to date for you as long as you're
tracking a relatively recent stable kernel version.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca