[Wine] Re: autocad 2008 and wine

miciomax wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 22 04:35:35 CDT 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/22 miciomax <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
>
> > Nope.
> > I'll stay with a version that DOES work in wine waiting for a native opensource alternative.
> >

> So, you want to use AutoCAD in Linux, but you do not want to ask the
> developers to write a Linux version.

Let's say that if I have to loose my time, I've got many many more interesting ways to do it :-)

> Even if you prefer the older interface (which, regarding Solidworks, so do I), you do realize that in some years time you will be forced to upgrade to be compatible with
> you coworkers, no?

Well, I don't agree 100%. It's true that on last year I started receiving dwgs that my good old 2005 can't open, but they don't use ANY of the new superfancy features of 2006+.
They're just incompatible because use a different file format. So, I went here ;
http://www.dwggateway.com/
And.... problem solved. My old-good-fast 2005 now can open 2008 files, and I'm sure that it'll open version 2256 files too in the future.

> Other than the UI, lots of things change from
> version to version and new features are always added. Even if you
> don't want to use it, you should promote the development of
> professional software for Linux.

The only, really only feature I miss in 2005 that 2006 has is quoting of arc lengths.
BTW, I hate the "autohighlight-of-objects-when-mouse-passes-over-them", just eyecandy that's completely useless and slows down work.
So, I wrote my small autolisp app that does quote arc lenghts.
About promoting development of software on Linux, I agree. But that one won't come from autodesk side.
What we really need by now is the opening of dwg format. Opening means making it truly opened, not as dwgdirect did, that's jjust having a second monopole targeted at non-windows platform. We need this because autocad dwg IS the standard, and you can't work without it, by now.

> > IMHO, we've got twice the probability to have an opensource
> > autrocad-like app in linux than a port of autocad.... Knowing a bit
> > of MFC/DOTNET/DIRECTX, I'm sure that it'll be by easier by far
> > to write a cad from scratch than port autocad on linux.
> >

> That does NOT mean that AutoDesk cannot develop AutoCAD for Linux.
> Until there exists a real, professional-grade CAD system for Linux
> that is compatible with what is used in industry today, we must tell
> the makers of the tools we use that we want to use them on Linux. And
> we _do_ want to use them on Linux, otherwise Wine would not exist.

for that wine exists, and does a really great job. What I don't understant is the focus on porting crapp MS apps like office, IExplorer, Outlook (the infamous "I want virus! I need it!" app...).
In Linux we miss :
1) Good dwg-compatible cad (with full 3d support)
2) Good HTML WISYWIG editor (something like dreamweaver, I mean)
3) Some vertical apps, but on those I think is a good idea to ask sw-houses to port to
linux, as they don't have a so bread user pool, so it may be rentable for them to port.
4) Games. Yes, Linux widespreading must pass thru it. Many young people stay on windows because theyr preferred games don't run on linux.
We DON'T (imho....) need a crap M$ Office, Outlook, or so.

> > And, if we REALLY want a good alternative, instead of whining
> > in front of autodesk's door we should try to start a true (and maybe
> > sponsored) autocad-like opensource project.
> > IMHO, in 10 years we could have an even better alternative than autocad.
> >

> I'm all for it. You show me the project, the timeline until there is a
> useable product that is Solidworks compatible, and I will donate
> accordingly. What should I use in the meantime?

wine + autocad ? :-)  that's what I'm doing.
Another choice (which I used before getting 2005 to run on wine) is vmware+xp+sutocad 2005. I know, it's quite dummy to have 1 GB ram + some 4-5 GB of HDD blocke just to run autocad, but....

> > BTW, I'm using cad since the first beginning (about 20 years ago),
> > and I'm quite happy with autocad 2005; I leave fancy eyecandies of
> > post-2005 to people that like them.
> >

> Actually, I like them. But I'm 30 years old, and many engineers are
> younger than I, so it may just appeal to use noobs. Like compiz.

Well, I like Compiz, and very much.... but I'd not pay for it ! :-)

Max