[Wine] Win32/Wine applications feeding Ubuntu 8.04/Apache 2?

RIL wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 23 10:34:51 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I just got to know about Wine, and I'm a newbie on Ubuntuy/linux as well, but I got so far as to test some apps I've made in Delphi if they work on Wine (and they do work).  (A COM version of my app is about 120% slower on Wine than on XP/SP2, and without the COM stuff enabled (running in "integrated mode") my app is about 30% slower (very CPU intensive string manipulations).

I think Wine is very interesting, although I'd welcome some optimizations, especially on the COM stuff...  However, now I'd like to learn more:

Web-enable Win32 apps on Apache/Wine

What would be the best way, and the second best way, for an Apche 2 web-server app (say PHP or whatever) running on Ubuntu 8.04, to communicate with legacy Win32 applications on Wine? It could be installed on the same machine and/or separate machines.

As I'm new to Linux I don't know what would the the "standard way" for applications to communicate with each other.

What I'm out for, in general, is a strategy for web-enabling legacy Win32 application farms on "more affordable execution platforms", that is, Wine/Linux.

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa