[Wine] Re: Win32/Wine applications feeding Ubuntu 8.04/Apache 2?

RIL wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 24 14:07:23 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:

> RIL wrote:
> > You recommend not using Linux/Wine, is this for security reasons or performance reasons, or both?
>
> Both..

OK, good to know.

vitamin wrote:

> RIL wrote:
> > I think I'd prefer "easiest to learn/use&deploy"... :) And of course, a protocol that will last over time.
>
> That was the reason I gave you pipes and sockets. Pipe is the basic concept in UNIX since the day one. And is here to stay.

OK I'll repeat: Thank you ALL, your (plural) answers ARE very useful.

However, for a newbie on Linux it isn't obvious how a Win32 application responds to a poll from/by a "basic concept in UNIX".

But as said, still from the position of a newbie on Linux, I will read up on  the links provided. And try some research on how a Win32 app would handle/respond to the suggested pipe stuff.

vitamin wrote:

> But the best thing you can do yourself - don't use Delphi for your backend app.

Except for not everyone knowing about the power of Delphi (for Win32), and except for the applications that I said that I already have made (representing * man-years of development time, which would take * 10 times to write with any other tool) , and except for the loads of apps already existing out there, which drives business for billions of dollars, I have no comment on what to do whith all that valuable intellectual propery which alredy exist and which have absolutely no need to be either "fixed" nor rewritten in any other language.

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa