[Wine] Taxcalc and IE technology

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 15:18:52 CDT 2008

Hi All

I recently sent an email to the developers of Taxcalc and got
quite a positive reply from them.  (Their full email and my emails
to them are below).

As you will see they currently rely on "Internet Explorer
technology" for their product.  Is this a complete showstopper as
far as running TaxCalc with Wine?  I assume they rely on
having IE installed.

Tony Pursell
AppDB maintainer for Taxcalc

-----------------------------

Dear Mr Pursell

Thank you for your email.

Yes, we are considering Linux and Mac OSX versions for the
future and
are looking into ways of doing this at the moment.
Our current reliance on Internet Explorer technology does cause
problems
with this but, again, we are looking into other options here.

Nothing will happen this year but it would be nice to think that
we
could offer this solution for TaxCalc 2009. If you don't mind I will
keep a note of your details and contact you if and when we have
this
option!

The summary export retains a lot of formatting settings but,
CSV would
be better than nothing as a fall-back. It is an interesting thought
though ... I will discuss this with the other developers. It is worth
noting that the screens displayed are effectively HTML and as
such, if
you 'drag-select' the content and paste into open office
spreadsheet you
may get a similar result.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards