[Wine] Re: Team Fortress 2 gaminfo.txt

Kingoftherings wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 27 22:56:00 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:

> Kingoftherings wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to run Team Fortress 2 on Linux using Wine 1.0.
> > I tried starting the game from Steam, but it shows the loading TF2 window, then closes and never starts the game.
> >
> > I know the game isn't supposed to run on Linux, but I have a question about gameinfo.txt.
> >
> > I tried starting hl2.exe in:
> >  /.wine/drive_c/Program Files/steam/steamapps\*user*\team fortress 2
> > folder, but it said I didn't have a gaminfo.txt in the hl2 directory. (which is a folder in the above directory) So I made one, but I don't know what to put in it. My current errror is:
> > hl2/gameinfo.txt is not a valid format.
> >
> > I tried finding the file on my Windows drive, but it wasn't there.
> >
> > I am currently running Gentoo.
> >
> > So all I'm asking for is what to put in the file. Thanks.
>

> Remove ~/.wine directory, reinstall Steam and TF2. If you broke your game files what do you want from Wine?
> And no you can't run TF2 without steam. Also don't forget to check HOWTO on AppDB page.

Alright, I'll try removing .wine.  I'm not trying to run it without Steam.  I have Steam running when I try to run hl2.exe.  I even tried it once without Steam running and it told me to start Steam.

When I go into Steam, and into the my games tab, the game won't launch, so I'm just using hl2.exe directly.