[Wine] wine only installed on linux?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 05:26:45 CDT 2008

2008/6/28 Timeout <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> That example would be an experience for Windows users!!!
> Usually one say that the strength of Window is to be sold with computer so that every user (unregarding their abilities in the field) would use Windows without thinking of what they actually had on the computer.
> Now the user would get a barebone O/S, should he wants to use a browser, he will get the message "the Internet module had not been yet install). Please install the internet module to proceed further. Now they want to watch their holliday picture and get the message "no video software installed -please run the install disk".

See also these two Slashdot comments:
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=594247&cid=23930753
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=594247&cid=23972417

"From what I can gather it is like the engineers have been pushed out
and the marketing guys have taken over and their answer for everything
is "how can we get more revenue out of it?". And right now they seem
to be buzzed over the idea of "value added post sale add ons" which
sounds like selling functionality as separate modules instead of
including it in the OS. Now I wouldn't mind for something like,say
adding an MCE interface to an existing OS. But from the way these guys
are talking they are going to make Windows more like a rental than a
purchase to keep the revenue stream high. I personally feel if they go
this route they better get used to patching XP and we better ALL get
used to seeing huge botnets, as those that won't be able to buy XP
will simply get a buddy to pirate it and they'll never update for fear
of WGA."

> I am sure she will like it!! [Laughing]

I'm sure Steve Jobs will be laughing all the way to the bank too.
Vista is the greatest Macintosh marketing tool ever.

This is getting pretty off-topic :-) But my point is, Wine on Windows
will become a valuable project, and possibly even commercially viable.
The main thing would be to make Cygwin good enough, then tweaks to
Wine itself to play nicer (e.g. make Wine regedit not trash the host
registry).

- d.