[Wine] Re: wineinstall permission denied

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 29 10:47:15 CDT 2008

DLGirl08 wrote:
> I need help...
>
> I've tried installing Wine through both the recommended and manual proceedures, and it refuses to install. In the Root Terminal, it says that "it is not recommended to install under root", that I "should switch to a lower level user", and then it aborts; yet it will not install under any other user. And now, when I try
>
> ./config and ./tools/wineinstall
>
> it tells me, Cannot install: Permission Denied. There is no documentation available that I can find to tell me why Wine will not install, and I am new to Linux, so I have no clue how to handle this kind of thing...

You should start from the scratch as a regular user. When you create any directory as root - only root can write into it (in most cases, depends on configuration).
wineinstall script will detect that you running as a regular user and will ask for the root password when it gets to the point installing Wine.

However, even this is recommended in the readme, you should still try and use prepackaged binaries from your distro. As some additional features added by packagers are not available from the Wine source.