[Wine] Re: moving or renaming .wine folder after installations

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 1 09:02:10 CST 2008

alfredo wrote:
> Hi,
> i want to reorg my directories and move (and rename) some .wine folder to /opt.
> After moving and renaming the .wine folder some applications don't start again. A least, i found some .lnk files in c:\... with absolute user and folder names inside.

You can move ~/.wine directory anywhere you want. Just don't forget to set WINEPREFIX env var accordingly. The symlinks you are talking about:
$ ls -la ~/.wine/dosdevices
c: -> ../drive_c
z: -> /

Should still work, unless you modified them into absolute paths. The "../drive_c" is a relative path.

If you talking about windows paths, they will not change.

However, if you moving something to the /opt directory that means only _one_ user at a time can run Wine! And that _all_ users will have to have full access permissions to that directory!