[Wine] Mailing list <-> forum gateway

Sterling Christensen sterling.christensen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:52:18 CST 2008

I think the down sides various people have mentioned about separating it a
little are overblown. Suppose they were to add to the forum a beginner's
category which is disconnected from the mailing list:
1. The segregation would be no worse than pre-gateway. There was a relative
lack of maintainers and devs on forums before the gateway and there would
only continue to be. The maintains who have left have shown that the status
quo isn't really better either.
2. Yes, some users may misjudge whether their question belongs inside or
outside the beginner's section, but I doubt there would be so many as to be
a serious problem.

The beginner's section could have sticky topics with links to beginner FAQs.
If somebody asks a question that isn't likely to be answered in the
beginner's section, a moderator can move it to the section that is linked to
the mailing list.

I think that's as close as it can realisticly get to what the gateway was
supposed to accomplish without driving more knowledgable people away.

-Sterling Christensen