[Wine] noob question :)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:59:46 CST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM, yo <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> hi all, im starting in the linux world !!
>
>  so this is my question :
>
>  i wanna run  1app that is installed in my windows partition.
>
>  the app im refering is  world of warcraft, this game does not have any entry in the windows registry (on windows machines you can copy the wow folder from one hd to another hd on other computer and play without reinstall)
>
>  so i think it must be possible to run the game without installing it in the wine virtual c.
>
>  so is this possible or must i install all the game for wine.
>
>  thx in advance for the replyes ppl.

You can try to run it from the existing Windows partition. It will
work or it won't. No harm trying.

1) You'll need to mount the Windows partition so that Linux can see
it. If the partition is NTFS or something like that then you'll have
to enable NTFS drivers in the kernel.

2) Run winecfg and add the windows partition as a new drive that Wine
understands.

3) At this point give it a try. Run something like

wine "d:\Program Files\WOW\wow.exe" or whatever the name of the
directory and executable is, and assuming that you mounted the windows
partition as drive D.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

- Mark