[Wine] What constitutes a good backtrace?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:47:15 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >   16 0x7ec9a22f DIALOG_DoDialogBox+0xdf() in user32 (0x7dad9528)
>
>  Hi Mark, thanks for asking!  Sadly, that trace doesn't have
>  line numbers.   Perhaps that info was stripped out
>  during install; try running the wine that's in the build
>  directory (if you can).

Dan,
   Currently I'm running Wine built from Gentoo portage. All the
default gcc flags either turn off or strip out all this backtrace
info. I tried turning it back on but I'm not a developer and really
don't understand this stuff so I'll need to learn.

   I saw on the Wine site that it says the default version of Wine has
this stuff turned on. I suppose that means that if I download the
tarball and build from that then I'll get the info possibly because
the Wine build process doesn't turn it off or strip it out.

   If building from WineHQ.org's tarball is more likely to make the
developers happy then I'll give that a try. Please let me know if
that's the best way to go.

cheers,
Mark